1.4.09

#63 Right Book, Wrong Time

Many, many people have read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. I hope most of them were smart teenage girls, for I think this book has a lot to offer in that department - coping strategies, introductory ruminations on the nature of good and evil and even some compassion for people who are different. Maquire's prose is highly readable, flows easily and is not too transparent. The characters are strongly archetypal, though in more pop-psych ways than the original Wizard of Oz.I wanted to like this book more than I did, not that I was tremendously disappointed - it was a solid read - but I was hoping for a little magic, something original and compelling. For some, I think this book could be the one, something shining and unique but for me it was just another novel.

No comments: